Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hood to Coast










Well another fun time with some new friends. I have decided that the Hood to Coast is not all about the run it is about the friends that you have and the 48 hours you spend with them laughing, smelling, running, eating, crying, hugging, and sharing pain all in a six to seven person suburban. Until you have did a Hood to Coast relay race you might find this hard to imagine. The Bond between the runners is an awesome thing. I was the old fart with the slow steady pace and the love to run.




Leg 12--easy?? No it was in Portland and it must have been 90 degrees the time of my run. Ran through lots of housing and business district where not everyone loves the Hood to Coast like I do. And it was long!



Leg 24--It was dark and out in the country but it was cool and i think it was about 4 in the morning--almost my regular running time but without my running partner.




Leg 36--my hardest-- I was tired had only slept maybe 1 hour. The run started up a gravel hill had about 2 miles of very steep downhill after that which for a fast young runner would be good, but for this old fart with a bad knee it was very hard. Then they ran you through Seaside and over HWY 101 on this make shift foot bridge which was really steep and the only time I walked in my 3 legs. But when I tried to run down the other side I fell flat on my butt (nothing hurt lots of padding) but my pride. I did continue on and the greatest thing was rounding the corner to run on the sand and seeing the faces of 11 friends all there ready to run in the finish with me. It was great!









No comments: